WelcomeTo My World

Sunday 26 October 2014

Kindness will always triumph over abuse.

A letter a day to number 10. No 896 Monday 27 October 2014. Kindness will always triumph over abuse. Shares are encouraged and welcomed. If this letter speaks for you and you wish to send your own copy please feel free to copy and paste, and alter for your own needs, the text for your own letter. Website updated, letters and replies plus bonus material featuring Mr Suggs, Eeyore and Ribbit. Also on the website, download the support compilation three album set from Atona. Not to be missed. http://www.keithordinaryguy.org.uk/ Dear Mr Cameron, I was chatting to my niece today about writing to you about kindness because there is a problem with that. How can I write to someone who was raised and conditioned to elitist privilege and taught to treat ordinary people punitively and with contempt and in whom the notion of kindness is so self evidently absent? If nothing else, this past week in Parliament Square has highlighted the absolute contempt and brutality of the British establishment for ordinary people, our right to protest, our right to speak out, our right of peaceful assembly and to even discuss, let alone practice, democracy. Kindness changes lives as does its absence. I grew up in poverty in a single parent family, my father having been sectioned as a paranoid schizophrenic who, I later discovered, was locked up not even knowing his own name. In those days single parenting was steeped in shame, even school teachers treated us as bastards. At the time I had no way to understood their cruelty but I well recall my sisters devastation at being called a 'bastard' by a teacher at school. I daily witnessed the brutality of poverty in my mother who was tortured by lack, not least for us kids, frequently going without food for our sakes. She was a woman literally consumed by worry and fear, for whom every day was a living torture, something she never recovered from even though she was latterly cared for in comfort by my sister. I grew up, in my turn, with chronic mental health problems, which, at 63, continue to this day. Yet I am by no means the helpless victim of circumstance I was as a child and young man. My life and direction changed at 33 and it was down to one thing, the kindness of others, people who were entirely strangers to me. I can mark the progress of my life since through my encounters with kindness, unlooked for, unanticipated and which were initially entirely confusing, terrifying and towards which I had no clue about trust. I was one of the locked in people, terrified and alone. Growth and understanding was bitterly difficult and hard won. It is kindness that transformed my life from a living hell and gave me purpose, strength, direction and the will and the ability to create change, in me and others. As a community and youth worker I learnt its strength and power, exerted with an iron will that will stand up to and oppose abuse. I have worked hard to pass on what I was so freely given. There is no power on Earth greater than kindness which endures through cynicism, contempt, violence and abuse. I, and so may others, have been tried by fires that you can have no understanding of and which you have no power over and that is why we, the people, will prevail against your abuse of the lives of ordinary people. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W77mnfAM2uk&feature=share http://newint.org/blog/2014/10/24/occupy-democracy/
— in Peasedown Saint John, Bath And North East Somerset, United Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment